Thursday 29 May 2014

First days ride. 9th May 2014. 52.9 miles. Climbed 1519 feet.

It wasn't a good start. I'm lying on my sleeping mat outside in the shade, trying to recover from a tough day. Tough because I've had a bad stomach. It started the previous night and continued today.

We set off at around 9am. I was feeling pretty weak with a headache as well.

We seemed to take forever to get clear of the city. The streets were busy and we all followed Promod our guide. Promod is a Nepali guide, an excellent cyclist and knows the route like the back of his hand.

The pace was pretty fast and just couldn't keep up.  I felt weak and shaky due to he illness. It was getting hotter and I was feeling it.

Andy the youngest rider and Chris, the oldest rider were brilliant and shielded me from the wind all the way to our lunch stop.

Lunch was an organised affair. The crew had set up a tent and cooked us chips, veg and tinned tuna. Also a roll with melted cheese. As we arrived a taurpualin was on the ground for us to sit on and hot lemon and sugar water was served.

After food we had tea and coffee.

I managed to eat and we set off in the heat again.  I was feeling so bad I was fighting back the tears.

Chris stayed with me and I draughted behind him.

I had to make an emergency stop in a ditch at the roadside. It was a close call! My stomach was cramping and I was not happy.  I was so grateful that Chris was with me offering sympathy and support.  The others had zoomed off ahead.

The sights were amazing though we were surrounded by snow capped mountains. We had ridden along Lhasa river most of the way.  I was just too ill to take it n or take photos.

After 53 miles of steady riding which was pretty flat we arrived at our camp site.

















-







I felt near collapse!

We each had a little bowl of water to wash with and just relaxed waiting for dinner.



Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment